Monday, May 23, 2011

Hospice Nurses

Making a difference, every day


Hospice care nurses play an essential and active role in patient care. In a recent article for the Crystal Lake Tribune, staff writer Dawn Lassiter-Brueske recounted touching statements made by Illinois hospice nurses in honor of National Nurses Week:

“Upon learning that I am a hospice nurse, many people ask, “How can you do that kind of work? Isn’t it depressing?” On the contrary, I feel that there is so much that can be done to help people with terminal illness, that the rewards to all involved, patient, family, caregivers, can produce a great deal of relief and even satisfaction. To watch pain replaced by comfort, anxiety by relaxation, insomnia by sleep, these are the rewards hospice workers experience. We grieve,, yet the sense of loss is tempered by the satisfaction from knowing that we made a difference, giving them the best quality of life with the time they had left.” – Kimberly O’Neill-Lim, LPN

“Every day, every minute I have the honor of taking care of our patients and their families. I do this in memory of my own mother who was in hospice care.” – Linda Ranahan, RN

“As hospice nurses, we have the opportunity to help our patients in so many ways, from helping a dad coach his son’s soccer team from his wheelchair, to giving a woman a last view of her hometown with photos found online. It’s not just a clinical job. It’s so much more.” – Cathy Klingler, RN

“Having recently lost a loved one who was in hospice care, I experienced from the other side of the bed how it feels to be surrounded by a caring team . What I have always known in my head, I now know in my heart.” –Karla Guilfoil, RN

“For me, about 5 or 6 years ago, I would have to say ONE of my many memorable moments as a hospice nurse was when our team was able to facilitate a cross-country train trip to Seattle, Washington, for one of our patients and fulfill a dream he had of taking along his kids to visit his sister before his death. He did not think it would be possible, given his condition. But we made it happen; he arrived safely, was able to spend some time with his sister and make memories with his children. Almost every day, I think about how much of a difference we can all make, even in the little things.”—Helen Allums, RN

“My most memorable moments as a hospice nurse were my visits with Mr. P. He and his wife inherited his son’s dog, Sandy, who was a pit bull. During every single visit, Sandy laid on my patient’s and I had to do my assessment around her. It worked for everyone. “– Denise Sample, RN, BSN, Director of Clinical Services, HPNI

“We had a patient who was avid baseball fan. We suggested that the family sing “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” for him. The patient reached out, touched his grandchild’s hands and died with a smile on his face.” – Karen Gibboney, RN

“While the nursing team was caring for a stroke patient in our Woodstock inpatient unit, the patient, who previously could not communicate, was able to point and communicate to staff about “her angel.” When asked by staff about her “angel,” the patient turned her head and said how beautiful he was. Shortly after care had been provided, the patient’s speech returned to a slow, difficult to understand manner, but the patient still smiled.” – Daneen Gorski-Adams, RN


All of the money and technology in the world would be for naught without the giving natures and personal efforts of these men and women.

Our thanks to the many who contribute not only to our program at Hospice Care Corp, but world-wide!

No comments:

Post a Comment